Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sister Beck Visits Camarillo


Sister Beck visited Camarillo on Saturday, January 31st and Sunday, February 1st. It was truly an honor for our stake to host her visit here.

MY IMPRESSIONS...
1. She is so kind, down to earth and humble.
2. We are about the same height.
3. She really cares about us.
4. She is a Book of Mormon girl.
5. She has cultivated the talents the Lord has given her.
6. She is truly an instrument in the hand of the Lord.
7. She KNOWS her scriptures.
8. She speaks with the spirit.

What a HUGE blessing! I am still on a "Sister Beck high" (as my friend Stacey Lythgoe calls it). I have been uplifted and encouraged. I want to share all I learned with anyone who will listen so I do not forget the valuable lessons she taught. I cannot share it all here but I will let you know the outline of the weekend and share my feelings.

Meetings I attended:
1. Last 3o minutes of training session on Saturday (there to take pictures)
2. General session for all the women of our stake (plus three other stakes)
3. Sunday morning she met with the two Spanish speaking wards in our stake
4. Sunday afternoon she spoke to the YSA and Laurels of our stake
5. Sunday evening she spoke to six stakes in Valencia - Michelle's stake was included

I was asked to be the photographer for the sister in our stake who was the journalist. This meant I was allowed to follow her around. :) I realize this was a gift from the Lord. I had one on one time with her. She knows my name now. I heard her speak five times over the two days she was here. Each session was different but had similar messages. Here are the main messages: 1. Go to the temple often and PAY ATTENTION, 2. You cannot delegate your role as a mother, you can neglect it but not delegate it. You can get help from your husband, an aunt or grandmother, but you cannot not delegate your responsibility. 3. The "swing shift" (ask me to explain this sometime) is the most important. You must be at the top of your game during the "swing shift". 4. Read your scriptures everyday for "sometime". Each day will be different. Some days you will have a lot of time and some days you will only have a little time. If you don't have your scriptures then recite the memorized ones and/or the Articles of Faith.


I have three inch heels on and she has flats on. We are basically the same height. This was a special moment for me. It was right after the interview. There were just three of us in the room. I felt like we were visit teaching each other. I still cannot believe how at ease I was with her.

I can honestly say I love her. I am so grateful for her and the life she has lived. She is such a great example of how the Lord can use us as instruments in his work. I want to be like her when I grow up!

4 comments:

Kate said...

So fun! I heard all the meetings with her were great.

Dave and Lorraine Barlow said...

You are like her! You are an instrument in the Lord's hands and you are an example of the believers! You are a Book of Mormon girl and seek to have the Spirit, teach by the Spirit and live by the Spirit. I am so grateful you had such a wonderful experience and "spiritual feast" this week-end. I did too!!

carie said...

I agree with your mom and dad. You are like her. I loved the conference too! What an awesom and uplifting experience it was! I was especially touched by her personal experiences, the doctrine she taught, and her charge to those of us who are single and without children to go forth and do what only we have time to do.

MEB said...

That is SO neat you met Sister Beck. She is a neat lady.