Friday, January 9, 2009

Fourth Grade in California

Alisa and I are SO excited. We finally have a 4th grader in our family. We have been looking forward to this for years because we want to help with the 4th grade California Mission report. We had grandiose plans of previewing 21 missions before the report was due in April. Then we received a call in the middle of December from Michelle telling us that Ty's teacher changed her mind and the report was due February 10, 2009.
















Since Ty is creating his own mission he is not tied to one specific mission. However we felt he needed to see as many as possible to get an idea of how they were set up and run. The bell tower was his favorite part. I loved the courtyard.

We decided to start with our local mission...San Buenaventura Mission in Ventura. We only had a small window of time but somehow it all worked out. It was a great experience to watch Ty's eyes get big as what he has been studying in school came to life. Even though the mission was small and a let down for Alisa and I, he loved it.


Brock was with us due to the fact that he was taking Ty to the BYU Men's Volleyball game at UCSB directly afterwards. It was great to have Brock (who claimed as we stepped into the courtyard of the mission, "I am back in El Salvador") there to share his knowledge about the Catholic religion with Ty.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Looks fun.... before reading it, I thought Brock might like the 'old school' feel of the missions... and I was right... a little memory of HIS mission. :)